Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dill's Gone

It's been two weeks since my Dill moved away and I'm still a little blue. Not a little, A LOT. I miss my boy! Not that I don't have lots of other boys that I love and adore, I just miss my biggest boy. The picture of me hugging him and losing it pretty much sums it up. Having my first child leave the nest was waaayyyy harder than I expected. Partly because he has such a presence in our home, he's kooky, he's loud, he plays the piano 24/7, but also because telling him goodbye and sending him on his way was the pivotal moment of this new chapter in our lives called "IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME". We used to look around at our five kids nestled tightly under our wings and think "we are in the absolute sweet spot of our lives" knowing that it was just a matter of years and it would be over. The sweetness could only last so long and a new phase of life would follow. Seeing Dillon drive away that day on his way to his new home in Utah was heart wrenching. Don't get me wrong...I'm so happy for him, he's having more fun than he knows what to do with, which is as it should be. I just MISS HIM!!







9 comments:

Erin said...

my heart hurts for you... And those are some of the most tender pictures I have ever seen! You are such a good mom, and you have raised a good boy... Just what are you gonna do when he goes on his mission? Oh sorry, I probably shouldn't have mentioned that.

Love is all you need said...

Hey Val! I can't believe he is old enough to move out now. I can't wait to see you guys for Lake Powell. Tell Dillon he can ride down with us if he wants. See you soon
Kort

Anonymous said...

I love to look at your blog given i have four boys too. I love the way you have let your kids find there way especially creativly. I hope they always keep there wonder glow!!

Autumn Kimball

thekimballherd.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

We may, but not that I know of, truth is I'm not sure how I found your blog..I just really identify with your fam. I am a Designer from Calvin Klein in NYC who happened to quit her job to have four boys at once followed by a crazy move to memphis..(it's an arm pit of a place.) none the less I'm raising my broad here. It freaked me out thinking of sending my four off to college as you just did with your eldest. Just think he's blaz'n his own trail, I am sure provo needs some Dill on the side!
Autumn

Michele said...

OUCH! I can't look at the picture of you and Dillon and not get choked up. You raised a great boy. Congrats!
If I know Dillon he is having the time of his life. Doesn't make it any easier on us Moms.
Hugs

Kylee said...

Valerie! I am so glad that I saw your name on Amber's blog. I can't believe your kids are all that big. You have such a cute family. I can't believe that Dillon is also that old to leave home. We just moved to Colorado, I so feel it in reverse, I was so sad to leave my family and friends. It will all work out though.

Julia said...

I can't believe he's old enough! I got choked up too at you pictures! I remember feeling like it will never be the same when I left home too. It just makes going home again so much better.

Amber said...

How sad and wonderful at the same time! I am so excited for him and his new adventure. Where is going to school in Utah? We'd love to see him!

Moody Family... said...

totally cried... I can't even imagine when it will be my turn.